Friday, January 16, 2009

Christmas Vacation and the Sickness

We spent Christmas in West Virginia with my family this year.

This is Elias and Bryce after Christmas dinner. Elias's stomach was so swollen with food. I couldn't believe he could eat like that.

Bryce and David found recorders at one of the Dollar Stores. The recorders turned into Elias's favorite noise makers.






We went expecting it to be cold and snowy and as unTexas like as you can get. It was chilly, but it didn't snow for Christmas and New Year's Day was in the 60s. It was pretty snowy the day we flew in and a few days before we left.

But it's okay. Bryce got to go snowboarding with my brother and sister. I got to play cards and Parcheesi everyday. I ate good food. Heard some excellent family stories. Visited with friends.

The only really big stinker about going back was Elias had an ear infection the week before we went. While he was over it by the time we were supposed to leave, he still was battling the head cold. I think the plane just sent it over the edge, and he was stuffy and snotty the entire time. We finally broke down and took the poor kid to the doctor a few days before we left.

I never knew you might really, literally have to spend every single minute of the night awake with a sick baby. I finally settled in to go to bed around 1 on New Year morning. As soon as I pulled the covers back to crawl into bed, Elias woke up screaming. He would only sleep if I held him. Not just held him, but I had to be sitting up while doing it. If I tried to lay down or put him down beside me, he would wake up and start screaming again. Bryce and I tried rubbing baby Vicks on him, giving him Tylenol, giving him his bottle, boogey bulbing the poor kid, and anything else thought might work. In the end, we only got relief and could fall asleep when my mom came in and took the guy at 5:15 in the A.M.

Boo at sick kids!

No comments: