Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Dead Bird in the Drawer

There was a drawer in our kitchen that wasn't easy to open or close since we moved into our house. I put off fixing it just because I haven't felt like taking care of it. I decided a few nights ago that it was time to tackle the sticky drawer.

I opened the drawer to wipe out the old owners' *spit* crap. So I could line it and put it back in.

Much to my horror, I saw a silverfish in there. In case you were wondering, silverfish are the most vile and disgusting of all the bugs on the planet.

I threw the drawer down onto the rug and took a few minutes to stop dry heaving and put on my big girl britches to go and take care of my yucky bug problem.

Upon closer inspection, it was not a silverfish. It was a feather. Now that I notice that feather, I see a whole bunch of them that have been smeared down the side and back of the drawer. I look into the hole where the drawer fits and see a feathery mass stuffed between the track and the side of the cabinet.

This is the part where I freak out. There is a bird carcass in there that has been decaying for months! My stomach is turning violently as I think of how many times I must've run that little bird's body over trying to get that drawer to open and close. My stomach is turning violently because the old owners didn't miss their bird. How the crap did the poor thing even get in there?

I waited until Bryce got home. My knight in shining armor. I know he has a weak stomach for these kinds of things, but I'm pretty sure I would've blown chunks for a week if I had to clean that bird up myself.

I turn my back while he is elbow deep in drawer and feathers. After a few minutes, he starts laughting at me. "Rachel, are you serious??" This is the part where my brave husband pulls out a very beaten up looking pen.

A pen!

I was worked up over a tacky pen with feathers glued to the top!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Ha, ha. That's a funny story. What color were the feathers?

Keeper of the Zoo said...

The color of a little sparrow.